Friday, April 11, 2008

Post Dengue Remark

I was admitted to the hospital due to dengue fever (very 'lucky' right?) for the past few days and was finally discharged from the ward 2 days ago. For your information, I wasn't alone. My mum was there one day earlier than me. Both of us were bitten by dreadful aedes (not the normal cute mosquitoes in TV commercials) and it certainly took us some time to get over the whole thing.

Warning: Super lengthy post >_<"

It definitely wasn't a pleasant experience. In fact, to me, it was pretty awful. And painful as well.

The days before we actually realized about dengue were complete torture. It was hell. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't do anything right, not even bath and I threw up every night. It wasn't like I didn't go to the doctor for a diagnose, I did. But the doctor couldn't tell that it was dengue during the early stages. All I was able to do was to take pills to relieve my high fever. It was not until after 3 days that the confirmatory blood test finally put me into a situation where by I was required to be sent to a hospital immediately. Blood test indicated that I was dengue positive. And according to the test, my condition was serious.

To tell the truth, I was thinking if I would actually die... I was horrified when I found super disgusting red spots all over my body while washing. 好像电视剧里面的麻风症。

Sounds very serious, no?? Actually I still got curi-curi play games. *erhek erhek*

But the stupid general hospital actually rejected our admissions. They 'kicked' us to another tiny hospital for 'more blood tests' first. As soon as my mum took the blood test, she was sent straight back to the general hospital again, due to the fact that her condition was already critical. I was told to come back the next day for a 3rd blood test. And upon my 3rd blood test, the doctor decided that I'm better off in the hospital. Then for the first time in my life, I hopped on to an ambulance and was admitted to the general hospital.

With the terrifying speed of the ambulance car, I think I reached the destination in less than 3mins. Mr. driver... this is not car racing OK?? I'll appreciate it if you be 'gentle' with the wheels... and me...

How did it felt like to be in the hospital???

*erhek...* This is actually the most interesting part of my story.

At the beginning, I was sent to this super noisy ward at the 7th floor --- with talkative nurses doing chit-chatting more than working and majority of Indian + Malay patients. Basically the environment was terribly awful. Despite being in a 'hospital', it was actually way noisier than 5S3. I hope it was just 'optical illusion' but that place... was kind of dirty from my flashbacks. The toilet ARGH!!! And as if things weren't bad enough, they didn't have space for me. I actually slept along the sides where people walk in and out throughout the day. 后来我向老妈形容的时候,我说:感觉就像在"难民营"。。。。 I was all alone, with no one to care about. That was the most unlucky part of my 'journey'.

Good thing it ended pretty quickly.

Soon my dad came and appealed to the case and requested for a transfer to the place where my mum was staying. Somehow I got lucky and was transferred to the place I'm going to refer as 'heaven'. Yes it was such a heaven, so much different compared to the previous one. Heck, it was as quiet as an exam hall and as clean as the principal's office. It was later that I realized that it was a place for radiotherapy and that explained why it was so clean and quiet. My mum even told me that they don't accept patients easily and were very 'diao-geh' in that case. I was lucky I got through.

As for the rest of my life in hospital, they made me looked as if my life depended on NaCL. You know how funny it was to carry a bottle of NaCL everywhere and anywhere you go??? Stupid bottle was a big hindrance to my movements. All of us looked very busy each and everytime we wanted to move because we needed to 'handle our bottles with care'. And if you do not manage the bottle of NaCL well enough, you'll end up with a tube full of blood (like the girl beside me who ended up getting scolded by the evil-tempered doctor). Nevertheless, NaCL was good o.O... As much as I hate the bottle of thing hanging beside my bed, I actually felt so much better after NaCL infusion. Though undeniably, my veins hurt a lot during the infusion. And the frequency of my visit to the washroom increased dramatically.

Another hateful thing was the blood tests. I think we did that every 6hrs?? The doctor would wake you up just to poke needle into your vein for blood. And each time I'll make sure that I take a good look at the doctor's face (in hope of finding lengcai doctor... kidding...) so that I'll know which doctor killed me in the afterlife. I got used to it very fast, eventhough I'm totally sick at the idea of 'donating' so much blood. I felt so drained after each blood test. They also measured my blood pressure very often, it didn't hurt a bit but was super annoying. I find myself hating NaCL infusion the most because it was a pain.

I finally understood what "度日如年" meant. I was like: when are we going home?? each and every passing second. Surprisingly, mum was cool with the idea of staying there. As a matter of fact, she almost looked as if she enjoyed the whole process. Not to mention the food o.O"...

Just to clarify some myth...

Who said hospital food is tasteless???

Believe it or not, it was actually quite nice. I hope there are people who believe me when I say that I miss food in hospital. I know it's curry... but very nice curry fish... I practically ate all up during my last meal. The curry really hit the spot. Well, maybe I was too hungry to be picky...

Me and mum were overjoyed when the doctor in charge (a.k.a. evil-tempered doctor) declared that we were ready to be discharged. The other dengue patients around us were obviously envious of us. There were these 2 poor girls around my age whose condition continued to deteriorate eventhough they were admitted to the hospital way earlier than us. Well, I did wish them luck in recovery before leaving.

All the time while I was lying on the bed in hospital, I was actually planning and thinking about things to do as soon as I got discharged. I know that wasn't appropriate, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to get the hell out of the hospital as soon as possible. It was a mixed feeling I couldn't describe.

So you wanna know the first thing I did as soon as I reached home??

Use your imagination. Prize awarded to anyone who can answer this correctly.

Yesterday I treated myself to a little extravagant as celebration. Just a nice dinner outside with my sister (without disturbance from mah parents hah). I had a meal of Fish & Chips along with a very nice drink. It concerned me a little considering the fact that I might vomit again but I'm glad I did not. My new-bought pair of long boots came into good use as my legs are still full of ugly red dengue spots. It'll take awhile for the spots to disappear completely but I'll manage with pants and the boots. My veins are quite badly damaged for the NaCL infusion so I'm still kind of uncomfortable with my hands now.

I'm still easily tired though, and always feeling pain all over my body...

That is why, for the moment being, I'll be staying home for more rest to build up more energy for my body. There are much more to do after my full recovery, A LOT.

watashi no jinsei wa... mada mada kore kara desu yo...!

2 comments:

SamZzzz said...

whoa~ u kena dengue izzit. No wonder long time didnt update ur blog. I knew ur blog thru Meng Yee. Quite interesting. Hope u'll heal completely soon. Good Luck n kampateh in maintaining ur blog. Visit me anytime @ senseless-sam.blogspot.com

Hazuki said...

wow thx... I'll check it up ^o^